"Throughout my two years with Vivien, I have learned a lot about the flute. I have been able to accomplish things that I never could have before. All of the techniques that I learned to all of the new songs that I was able to play, Vivien helped me with it. I am grateful to have had her teach me." - David, age 13
1. At Music for Every Occasion, we believe in facilitating the development of critical thinking skills in students.
During lessons, we challenge them to identify their mistake and correct it on their own. Before giving feedback, we ask students what they liked most about what they just played, and which areas they feel they could improve.
2. Our students set their own goals for musical study; as a result, they usually achieve them.
Several students have gained admission to Bak Middle School of the Arts (in Palm Beach County). All of our students who participated in the Palm Beach and Broward County Solo and Ensemble Festivals this year received ratings of excellent or superior. We have found that when students enjoy what they do, they make noticeable progress.
3. We believe in the importance of participation in chamber ensembles.
While most students are in band at school, there are certain skills that are best enhanced through chamber ensemble playing (trios and quartets). Therefore, we have incorporated ensemble performance into our curriculum and offer this as an option for all our students. During our last recital, students performed duets with their teacher and sightread two pieces for flute trio.
4. With teachers' guidance, our students select their own repertoire for recitals and other performances.
Our teachers introduce students to several pieces that are appropriate for their current level and demonstrate what the pieces sound like. However, the final decision always rests with the students, because we believe that a student will be more motivated to learn a piece that he or she has chosen.
5. Our students participate in two recitals a year, which are excellent opportunities to showcase their best pieces for family and friends.
One recital takes place in December, and the second takes place in June. Our recitals are informal and fun, and serve as a reward for several months of dedication and study!
We invite you to take a lesson with us and experience
the Music for Every Occasion difference.